The depot area is located between the shunting sidings and the head shunt, right in the middle at the front of the layout. The depot features two ‘temporary hut’ cabins, detailed with depot accessories from both the Hornby and Bachmann scenery ranges. In the photo below, the cameo scene features a skip full of rubbish and palettes leant up against the cabin wall.


In another cameo scene in the depot, we can see a white van parked up beside another skip, next to some palettes with new components and materials.


Outside one of the cabins, a scene featuring old speed signs, cones and traffic signs.


Towards the back of the depot are a collection of large wheeled bins, different colours for different waste types.


In this picture we can see containers stored stacked up beside the depot cabin.




The houses are positioned in front of the hidden siding and behind the head shunt siding, they are made out of card from the Metcalfe kit range, reference PO276 OO Gauge Low Relief Terraced Houses.


Each house has a little extra detail added, for example the moss on the roof, rubbish bins and bicycle in the back yard.


Each house has a little extra detail added, for example the family pet dog, rubbish bin fallen over and a person up a ladder washing the glass windows.


A police officer on the beat checking the rear of the houses.


Station Building and Platform

The station building has been scratch built using different coloured styrene sheet and fixed to the back scene to give the impression of depth, with the use of footbridge steps down to platform level.


The platform is from the Metcalfe card kit range reference PO216 and gives a brick effect on the platform sides. The figures and benches are from the Hornby range reference R561 OO Gauge Sitting People.


The Network SouthEast litter bin is my Ten Commandments reference L112.


The station lampposts are from the Scenecraft range by Bachmann, reference 44-542 Concrete Platform Lamps. The departure displays screens fixed to the lamps are from the Station Modernisation Pack reference 44-502 also from the same Scenecraft range.


The cameo scene at the end of the platform is a mixture of the 36-048 Building Site Detail and Tools and the 36-049 Trackside Workers both from the Bachmann range.


Signal Box and Signals

The signal box on the layout is the ‘Period Signal Box’ R9729 from the Hornby Skaledale range. The signal box building has been cut in half to save space on the layout.

The signal on the layout is a dual head, two aspect home signal, made by Train Tech, reference SK7 and is used for the purpose of platform starting signals on the layout. The signal has been modified by increasing the height of the signal heads, so they are clear of the train roofs, this was achieved using two strips of styrene sheet.


Aircraft Part 3

After the aircraft kit components were given a few coats of primer, it was time to start thinking about applying the livery of a very British Airline. I thought it would be easy to purchase decal transfers for a popular national carrier, using a popular aircraft type but it seemed to be rather difficult, I even ended up having to purchase the water-slide transfers from abroad!

Some searching on-line in the aviation modelling forums, appeared to reveal some debate as to the correct shade of acrylic blue for the Landor British Airways livery, so I purchased both recommended acrylic paint colours and carried out my own test. The results of my findings are as follows, for the Landor livery, the best match is Humbrol 104 Oxford Blue, for the ‘new’ Chatham Dockyard livery, the best match is Humbrol 15 midnight blue.


The right side engine with covers fitted, painted up in Humbrol 104 Oxford Blue and given a coat of matt varnish.


After being given a few base coats of primer, the aircraft body colour was built up with Tamiya matt white spray. A strip of Tamiya masking tape was fixed across the aircraft body ready to apply the acrylic Humbrol 104 Oxford Blue to the fuselage.


After the acrylic Humbrol 104 Oxford Blue had dried, the Tamiya masking tape was peeled back over itself to keep the paint finish as neat as possible.


The aircraft body was now ready for the application of the water-slide transfers. It was at this point that I had read about some disaster stories of ruined models involving Tamiya acrylic paints and the Humbrol Decal-fix chemical. Not wanting to risk ruining the model, it was at this point I gave the entire model another few coats of matt varnish spray to seal the paint in and provide a barrier to the Humbrol Decal-fix.


Due to the model being half relief for the diorama / layout, some decals had to be cut in half.


Half way through applying the water-slide transfers using Humbrol Decal-fix. I did use a bit too much Decal-fix as it spilt onto the aircraft body I thought I had ruined the model, however, once the acrylic matt varnish spray was applied, the Decal-fix seemed to blend and disappear.


Because the aircraft kit and and water-slide transfers were from different manufacturers, some parts didn’t match up, this included the external door detail and the tail fin, I tried to disguise it as best as I could.


The engine was given the necessary water-slide transfers, fixed to the wing and the whole component was given a fresh coat of matt varnish.


Finally the wing was fixed to the aircraft body and after the water-slide transfers had dried in place, the whole kit was given another coat of matt varnish to seal and protect everything in position.


I made a cardboard mock up of the airport end of the diorama to see how it would start to look. I think the aircraft needs to be positioned a bit higher up to give the impression of height and perspective on a 1/144 model on a 1/72 layout / diorama.