Aircraft Part 3

After the aircraft kit components were given a few coats of primer, it was time to start thinking about applying the livery of a very British Airline. I thought it would be easy to purchase decal transfers for a popular national carrier, using a popular aircraft type but it seemed to be rather difficult, I even ended up having to purchase the water-slide transfers from abroad!

Some searching on-line in the aviation modelling forums, appeared to reveal some debate as to the correct shade of acrylic blue for the Landor British Airways livery, so I purchased both recommended acrylic paint colours and carried out my own test. The results of my findings are as follows, for the Landor livery, the best match is Humbrol 104 Oxford Blue, for the ‘new’ Chatham Dockyard livery, the best match is Humbrol 15 midnight blue.

picture146

The right side engine with covers fitted, painted up in Humbrol 104 Oxford Blue and given a coat of matt varnish.

picture147

After being given a few base coats of primer, the aircraft body colour was built up with Tamiya matt white spray. A strip of Tamiya masking tape was fixed across the aircraft body ready to apply the acrylic Humbrol 104 Oxford Blue to the fuselage.

picture148

After the acrylic Humbrol 104 Oxford Blue had dried, the Tamiya masking tape was peeled back over itself to keep the paint finish as neat as possible.

picture149

The aircraft body was now ready for the application of the water-slide transfers. It was at this point that I had read about some disaster stories of ruined models involving Tamiya acrylic paints and the Humbrol Decal-fix chemical. Not wanting to risk ruining the model, it was at this point I gave the entire model another few coats of matt varnish spray to seal the paint in and provide a barrier to the Humbrol Decal-fix.

picture150

Due to the model being half relief for the diorama / layout, some decals had to be cut in half.

picture151

Half way through applying the water-slide transfers using Humbrol Decal-fix. I did use a bit too much Decal-fix as it spilt onto the aircraft body I thought I had ruined the model, however, once the acrylic matt varnish spray was applied, the Decal-fix seemed to blend and disappear.

picture152

Because the aircraft kit and and water-slide transfers were from different manufacturers, some parts didn’t match up, this included the external door detail and the tail fin, I tried to disguise it as best as I could.

picture153

The engine was given the necessary water-slide transfers, fixed to the wing and the whole component was given a fresh coat of matt varnish.

picture154

Finally the wing was fixed to the aircraft body and after the water-slide transfers had dried in place, the whole kit was given another coat of matt varnish to seal and protect everything in position.

picture155

I made a cardboard mock up of the airport end of the diorama to see how it would start to look. I think the aircraft needs to be positioned a bit higher up to give the impression of height and perspective on a 1/144 model on a 1/72 layout / diorama.

picture156

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s