T250 & T252

The signals that controlled the exit from Gatwick Airport platform 2 and platform 3 northbound towards Horley, used to be T252 and T250 as shown in the photograph below. These signals are both four aspect controlled signals. Signal T252 features a position four junction indicator for the route on to the Up Brighton Fast, whilst signal T250 features a theatre box route indicator.


To make a model of signals T252 and T250, I purchased two, four aspect controlled signals and a position four junction indicator from CR signals, this is a combination of product codes SO14HC and RO04. CR signals very kindly provided me with printed signal ID plates ready to stick onto the model. The signals are both positioned on a gantry and this had to be made by scratch. To build the gantry, I needed various shapes of styrene tube in order to build it as close to the real thing as I could.


First I began by cutting the two vertical supports.


Next I cut out two horizontal supports to form the gantry.


Then I cut a V into each vertical support to accommodate the wires from the signals.


After cutting the V into the vertical supports, I cut out a gantry platform from styrene sheet to place the signals heads onto.


Now I had enough pieces to stick the vertical and horizontal supports together, adding the horizontal support for the access ladder and more supports for the gantry.



Two right angle triangles were then cut out of normal styrene sheet and added to the signal gantry to give it more shape. Also at this point, holes were drilled into the gantry for the signal wires to go through.


Another piece of styrene tube was added to the vertical supports to give it more shape like the prototype.


Finally, a slide on cover was added to the top of the gantry to enable easy access to the wires just in case a signal had to be replaced if it broke.



Now it was time for the two, four aspect signals and the position four junction indicator were fixed onto the top of the gantry.


Before the gantry could be painted, it was then time to test the signals in position to make sure it was all working.


After the signal testing was complete, the gantry was painted grey using acrylics from the Tamiya range.


With the project drawing to a close, it was time to set out the model signal ready to fit the extra detail. The final stages were about adding the handrails around the gantry.


Handrails were replicated using a mixture of styrene sheet and brass wire.


The handrails were then fixed onto the gantry. Unfortunately this is the best I could achieve in the circumstances as replicating the gantry exactly as per the photograph was too difficult for me.


As a finishing touch, the signal ID plates were fixed onto the gantry below the signals. The detail sheet kindly supplied by CR Signals is actually a giant sticker, so the signal ID plates that I chose, T250 and T252 were cut out from the rest and applied to the model.







4 thoughts on “T250 & T252

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s